During the festive season, you want to spend time with your whole family. But it can be difficult to find something for everyone to join in together. We have some ideas for festive fun to entertain the whole family.
Ideas for the Kitchen
Spending time together as a family in the kitchen is a great way to bond, and these festive ideas help make the season magical for everyone.
Hot Chocolate Station
Hot chocolate on a cold evening is a wonderful thing. Make it a family treat by creating a hot chocolate station for your little ones to choose and create their own! You can try out different brands of hot chocolate powder or make it yourself with real chocolate. Set out some hot chocolate flavourings, and different toppings so everyone can customise their own.
There are many different Christmas cookie recipes you can try, from cinnamon flavour, to butter cookies. It doesn’t matter which recipe you use, you can get everyone involved by giving them all a different job. If you have older children, you could even give everyone a different recipe. Once the cookies are baked and cooled, set up a decorating section in your kitchen. Maybe you could even have a little competition, and give prizes for most colourful cookie, most festive cookie, best Santa cookie, and any other festive category you can think of.
Christmas crafts aren’t just a wonderful way to spend time together as a family. You can also use the time to make gifts, cards, or decorations.
Christmas card crafts can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make them. Younger children could make Christmas tree handprint cards, while older children could use potatoes to make stencils. Another idea would be to use old wrapping paper and cut out some of the designs. Stick them onto card to make new designs.
Mason Jar Snow Globe
Mason jar snow globes are simple to make, and they’re fantastic gifts for family or friends, or to keep as a decoration for yourself.
Glitter spray paint
- Use the glitter spray paint to paint the lid of the jar. Set it aside to dry.
- Glue the two parts of the lid together with the waterproof glue
- Once the glue is dry, you can start gluing the Christmas figurines to the inside of the lid to create your Christmas scene. Some people use half of a foam ball to create a base for the figurines and give the scene a bit more height in the jar.
- Fill the jar with the water, glitter, and a few drops of glycerin.
- Glue around the inside rim of the lid and put it on the jar. Leave the jar aside for around 24 hours to dry before turning it upside to make the snow globe.
Christmas Movie Marathon
Spending time together with a Christmas movie marathon is incredibly fun. Gather up your blankets, get some popcorn, and pick out the movies for your marathon. Try movies like Jingle Jangle, Klaus, The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Grinch, A Christmas Carol and The Polar Express. It can help if you decide on the movies beforehand and stop any disagreements before they start.